Partner, Private Client Tax
Personal tax adviser for people with complex finances
Geraint advises high net worth individuals about their income tax, capital gains tax and inheritance tax.
He creates bespoke solutions to improve tax-efficiency for people with multiple assets and sources of income.
Geraint looks at the full picture of his clients’ finances, as well as advising on specific tax issues. He provides wealth planning services, including retirement planning and inheritance tax structuring.
He also has substantial experience helping people with complex tax investigations and tax litigation.
For business owner-managers and partners of LLPs, Geraint provides advice on:
- Tax efficient profit extraction
- Tax, structuring and general commercial advice
- Exit planning
For entrepreneurs and angel investors, he:
- Uses tax efficient structures, such as offshore trusts, foundations and companies to minimise future capital gains tax
- Structures businesses to ensure qualification for Entrepreneurs’ Relief
- Uses the enterprise investment scheme (EIS) and seed enterprise investment scheme (Seed EIS) for income tax relief and capital gains tax relief
- Advises on share incentive schemes
For UK property owners and non-resident landlords, Geraint offers:
- bespoke tax planning, including UK property structuring
- advice on annual tax on enveloped dwellings (i.e. properties owned by a company or partnership)
- property accounts
- non-resident landlord returns.
For UK citizens moving abroad, he:
- prepares and submits tax returns to ensure compliance with UK rules
- verifies their domicile and resident status.
For foreigners moving to or investing in the UK, he:
- optimises statutory tax breaks for people coming to the UK
- uses tax-efficient structures – on-shore and off-shore
- advises on inward investment schemes
- ensures full compliance with UK tax requirements for non-domiciled and non-resident individuals.
For sports professionals and entertainers, he provides:
- UK tax structuring and compliance for all sources of income including winnings, sponsorships and endorsements earned abroad
- International compliance with non-resident sportsperson and entertainer tax
- retirement planning.
Tax specialist with 25 years’ experience
Geraint joined BKL because of the outstanding reputation of its tax department and the expertise of its people.
He trained at Touche Ross after finishing his Economics & History degree at the University of Manchester and a brief stint at the National Audit Office.
Since then, he’s worked for Blick Rothenberg and FW Stephens where he was appointed partner. When FW Stephens merged with Reeves, he became a partner of the enlarged firm.
Geraint has been on the Citywealth Leaders List since 2009. He is also a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners.
In-demand author and speaker about tax
Geraint regularly writes and lectures about personal taxation for business and general audiences.
He has written articles for:
- City A.M. – about tax on high-net worth individuals
- Spear’s – about tax-efficient investments of all types including wine, race horses and bitcoins
- Private Client Adviser – monthly column about running a business, e.g. social media, recruitment and marketing
- The Mail on Sunday – about tax for their “Ask an Expert” column
- Thisismoney.co.uk – about inheritance tax and other tax matters
- Henry & Horne LLP, a US tax firm – about UK/US taxation of LLCs
He’s been widely quoted on tax issues by:
- BBC News, Radio 5 Live, Talk Radio Europe
- UK newspapers, including the Financial Times, The Times, The Telegraph, The Guardian, The Independent, The Daily Express and City A.M.
- Business magazines, including Accountancy Age, Spears and Money Marketing
- The foreign press, including The Moscow Times and The Telegraph of India
Geraint also lectures about tax to:
- UK Business Angels Association – EIS, Seed EIS and other tax breaks
- Ishmaeli Landlord Alliance – taxation of landlords
- Various property organisations
Sports fan and wine connoisseur
Welsh rugby, English cricket and French wine are Geraint’s three great interests.
He particularly enjoys holidays in Southwest France where the rugby is as good as the wine.