Audit, Tax and Business Advisory Partner
Adviser and auditor for FCA regulated entities, large corporate groups and owner-managed businesses
Jon helps businesses with complex needs to get things done – in ways that make sense now and over the long term. Providing a comprehensive service, he tells his clients that they can “ask me anything”.
Jon specialises in the financial services sector, working with hedge fund managers, brokers and other regulated businesses. Jon advises on:
- Statutory audits involving FCA regulations
- Structuring businesses to ensure compliance with FCA requirements and tax efficiency, including startups and off-shore companies
- Ensuring timely management information is produced for regulatory and capital adequacy reporting requirements
For large corporate groups and UK subsidiaries of overseas groups, Jon advises on:
- Consolidated group accounts
- Management accounts for overseas parent companies
- UK component audits, including effective communication with the auditors of overseas parent companies to meet group reporting deadlines
- Tax planning, deal structuring and accounting for large complicated transactions
For owner managed businesses (typically £2 million+ turnover), Jon provides:
- Restructuring advice for mitigating risk and providing better control
- Reviewing and analysing management information in order that the directors have timely and relevant information for decision making
- A complete outsourcing service for their business finance function
A self-starter who bypassed uni and went straight into accountancy
Jon has always valued practical know-how as well as technical expertise. He chose to learn accountancy on the job so he could pick up the nuances of business by working directly with clients and colleagues.
When he left school, he began his academic training with AAT rather than going to university. Soon afterwards, his initiative and determination won him a place on BKL’s graduate trainee scheme – even though he wasn’t a graduate. He completed his professional training with ICAEW while at BKL.
Throughout his career, Jon has combined his practical skills with his technical knowledge to make a real impact on the performance of his clients’ businesses.
Adventurous traveller and keen rugby supporter
Jon often holidays in Italy with his family. His partner is from Puglia (which is in the heel of the boot).
He is slowly working his way through his “places I must visit” list. He’s recently been to South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Cambodia and Thailand – where he added to the adventure by taking his one-year-old daughter.
For many years, Jon was a keen rugby and football player. These days, he mostly participates by cheering Saracens and Tottenham Hotspur from the sidelines.
“We are a Canada based private equity firm, specialising in private, small and mid-cap energy companies. As professional advisers, we know how important it is to treat clients with honesty and integrity: exactly what we get from BKL. Jon Wedge is focused and friendly, as are his colleagues in BKL’s audit and tax teams.”
“BKL have been our accountants and business advisers since Anavon Capital’s inception as a hedge fund. They have ensured we are compliant with FCA regulations and have gone further, using the compliance process to advise us on tax structuring and planning. We are delighted with the relationship we have built with BKL.”
“Setting up my brokerage firm meant dealing with a lot of professional advisers. Out of everyone I have spoken with, without a doubt, BKL have been the ones who have helped the most.”