Adviser for people who own and run private businesses
Howard specialises in providing commercial and tax advice and litigation support to his clients.
He helps private companies, typically with up to £50m turnover, respond to complex challenges, including:
- Strategic planning
- Negotiating commercial contracts
- Resolving disputes
- Structuring for growth and expansion
- Tax planning
- Other corporate finance matters including buying and selling businesses
He provides commercial advice and litigation support to businesses who are either claimants or defendants:
- Helping them to get out of litigation successfully by advising them on the likely risks and impacts of the court case on them and their business (drawing on his personal experience of a two-year case in the High Court)
- Assisting them as they decide whether to settle or pursue their case
- Providing forensic accounting, business valuations, fraud investigations and contract reviews
He also provides expert witness testimony in the High Court in commercial cases. Like fellow litigation support partner Daniel Shear, Howard is a member of The Academy of Experts.
Experienced adviser for technology clients
Howard has a degree in Computer Science & Mathematics, and went on to become an IT consultant in the firm now known as PwC. Over the span of his career, he has closely experienced the growth of the technology and digital sector and has supported a range of clients in the industry, including:
- Advising at board level on the issues faced by fast-growth companies in this sector
- Acting as auditor to software houses
- Providing expert valuations when legal disputes have arisen over the value of IT companies’ shares
- Taking on non-executive directorships in technology companies: he is currently non-executive director to Bimble Studios Ltd, a startup company that is developing a local travel app.
30 years of accountancy, consulting and commercial experience
Howard qualified as a Chartered Accountant with Touche Ross in the 1980s. He later took on head of finance roles for large private enterprises. For 15 years, Howard ran his own successful accountancy practice which he sold in 2002.
Masterclass teacher and national speaker
Howard has spoken at the Accountants Masterclass and at various seminars on litigation support.
When he had his own small firm, he also presented seminars nationally about how to run such businesses.
Howard relaxes at the weekend by flying light aircraft in the traffic-free skies above the UK and continental Europe. He is married with two grownup children.
“Howard is amazing. He's been a mentor to me and the family over the years, acting as more than just my accountant. He was able to bring his expertise to bear and he took a common sense approach with his advice.”