From 29 June, after three months of lockdown, we were pleased to begin our gradual and safe return to BKL office life.
Based on the UK Government’s guidelines for assessing and minimising the risks involved, we’d like to share some details of the steps we’ve taken to ensure our workplace is COVID-19 secure.
Thinking about risk
- We carried out a workshop, staff survey and risk assessment
- Based on these, we developed an action plan for returning to the office safely
- We have shared the results of our staff survey and this action plan with all our staff, as part of our continual communications with them about coronavirus and the office
Who should go to work
- We have stated that anyone who has been identified as vulnerable will not be allowed to return to the office
- We have not asked anyone who has been advised to stay at home, or who feels uncomfortable, to return to the office
- We have discouraged those who must use public transport from returning to the office
- On arrival, before entering the working area, each member of staff will have their temperature taken using a contactless thermometer. Anyone with a high temperature will return home and arrange a COVID-19 test
- To maintain social distancing at work wherever possible – including arrival, departure, workstations and common areas – we have communicated with all staff, prepared detailed plans and put up signage throughout the office
Clients and other visitors
- To minimise avoidable visits, we are not currently allowing guests into the office and are not accepting any personal deliveries
- Our office was deep-cleaned ahead of our return on 29 June, and will be cleaned at the end of each day
- To help prevent transmission of coronavirus, we have provided hand sanitisers and cleaning products throughout the office and made it clear to our staff what should be cleaned after contact
- Post and other deliveries will be handled only by specific staff
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and face coverings
- We will support our staff in using face coverings safely if they choose to wear them in the office. Our staff are aware that face coverings are mandatory on public transport
- To reduce the number of contacts each of our staff has at work, we have limited the maximum number of people in the office
- To avoid unnecessary travel, meetings with our clients etc will continue to be via phone and video (Microsoft Teams). Teams has also been keeping our staff in touch with each other, since before lockdown: find out more here
We will update this page as government requirements change and our responses change accordingly. With a major refurbishment of our office due to be completed for our 40th anniversary this year, we’re looking forward to being able to complete a safe return to the office too, and for the opportunity to welcome visitors to our brand new meeting rooms when it is safe to do so.
For more information, please get in touch with your usual BKL contact or use our enquiry form.