Immigration from Hong Kong to the UK: selling your property

/ 14 October 2020

Geraint Jones

As the UK Government prepares to open the Hong Kong British National (Overseas) Visa for applications from January 2021, many families in Hong Kong may be thinking about emigrating. To help them understand the tax implications of selling their Hong Kong property after moving to the UK, BKL private client tax specialist Geraint Jones was interviewed for Hong Kong’s Next Magazine.

Topics discussed by Geraint include Principal Private Residence relief (also known as main residence relief), capital gains tax, ownership in the name of a company and exchange rate factors.

(As of June 2021, Next magazine’s webpages and videos are unavailable. For reference: the article and video were available to Next Magazine subscribers here; a translation into English was available here.)

The video is also available on YouTube:

Other articles in this series:

To find out more about how Geraint and our other tax specialists can help people who are looking to relocate to the UK or invest in UK property, please get in touch using our enquiry form.

Geraint Jones

Partner, Private Client Tax

T +44 (0)20 8922 9354
E geraint.jones@bkl.co.uk

View Profile