With the UK Government opening the Hong Kong British National (Overseas) Visa for applications from January 2021, many people in Hong Kong may be thinking about moving to the UK to work or study. To help them understand more about UK inheritance tax (IHT), BKL private client tax specialist Geraint Jones was interviewed for Hong Kong’s Next Magazine.
- The ‘7 year rule’ affecting IHT on gifts made within 7 years before death
- Preparing for the 7 year IHT clock
- Exemption from IHT: ‘gift from income’
(As of June 2021, Next magazine’s webpages and videos are unavailable. For reference: the article and video were available to Next Magazine subscribers here; a translation into English was available here.)
The video was also available on YouTube:
Other articles in this series:
- Tax analysis
- Selling a main residence in Hong Kong after moving to the UK
- Renting a property in Hong Kong after moving to the UK
- Tax and ‘clean capital’
- Non-domicile tax status
- Inheritance tax: introduction
To find out more about how Geraint and our other tax specialists can help people who are looking to relocate to the UK, please get in touch using our enquiry form.