Commercial, Tax and Litigation Support Partner
Adviser for people who own and run private businesses
Howard specialises in providing commercial and tax advice and litigation support to his clients.
He helps private companies, typically with up to £30m turnover, respond to complex challenges, including:
- Strategic planning
- Negotiating commercial contracts
- Resolving disputes
- Structuring for growth and expansion
- Tax planning
- Other corporate finance matters including buying and selling businesses
He provides commercial advice and litigation support to businesses who are either claimants or defendants:
- Helping them to get out of litigation successfully by advising them on the likely risks and impacts of the court case on them and their business (drawing on his personal experience of a two-year case in the High Court)
- Assisting them as they decide whether to settle or pursue their case
- Providing forensic accounting, business valuations, fraud investigations and contract reviews
He also provides expert witness testimony in the High Court in commercial cases. Like fellow litigation support partner Daniel Shear, Howard is a member of The Academy of Experts.
30 years of accountancy, consulting and commercial experience
Howard qualified as a Chartered Accountant with Touche Ross in the 1980s. He joined the firm after graduating from the University of Manchester with a degree in Computer Science & Mathematics.
Subsequently, his roles included consultancy with Deloitte Haskins & Sells and head of finance roles for large private enterprises.
For 15 years, Howard ran his own successful accountancy practice which he sold in 2002. He has held a number of non-executive directorships, including an eight year role with Artem, one of the top visual effects houses in the UK. He advised the board on corporate governance, strategy and other matters.
Masterclass teacher and national speaker
Howard has spoken at the Accountants Masterclass and at various seminars on litigation support.
When he had his own small firm, he also presented seminars nationally about how to run such businesses.
Howard relaxes at the weekend by flying light aircraft in the traffic-free skies above the UK. He is married with two grownup children.